2019 MHPN Building Award Winner - Lexington's Cadillac House
The 1860 Cadillac House Inn and Tavern in Lexington, MI has been restored to its original grandeur, led by the Roxbury Group, a Detroit-based real estate developer. The inn will help bolster year-round tourism to Michigan's thumb. Learn more about the hotel's transformation with this article by Crain's Detroit Business, "Cadillac House reopens with a mind for growing Thumb tourism pipeline".
Virtuoso Design + Build and our affiliate company Infuz Ltd., Architects are honored to have provided finish carpentry and architecture services respectively.
2019 MHPN Highlight: Built in 1860, the Italianate-style Cadillac House is likely one of the oldest remaining hotels in the state. The hotel and restaurant served the port village of Lexington through its boom years as the Sanilac County seat and a hub for the timber and fishing industries, then transitioned to cater to tourists and vacationers in the early twentieth century. Over the years, the building’s look evolved to match the fashions of the time, including a stucco half-timbered exterior covering installed in the 1980s. Following the closure of the restaurant and sale of the building in 2016, its new owners returned the building to its original 1860s appearance, including revealing and restoring the original clapboard siding and ghost signage, replicating the historic cupola and windows, and recreating the tavern’s bar from historic photographs. The Cadillac House reopened in 2018 as a hotel and restaurant, fully reinstating it to its historic use. Through the use of historic tax credits, the project benefitted the community by returning hotel rooms to this resort community, attracting new visitors, creating new jobs, and inspiring the Village of Lexington to initiate a new master plan.
Project team:Owner/Developer: The Roxbury Group (Stacy Fox)
Architect: Infuz Ltd., Architects
General Contractor: Artisan Contracting
Finish Carpentry: Virtuoso Design+Build
Historic Consultant: Kidorf Preservation Consulting
Additional Consultants: Quinn Evans Architects